Claro is where New York and Oaxaca meet - the result of T.J. Steele’s long-time love for Oaxacan food and culture.
In his many years of living part-time in Oaxaca, Steele cultivated relationships with craftsmen, artists, mezcaleros, cooks and farmers throughout the region. He still visits them regularly and sources corn and beans for Claro’s menu from farms that hand-pick non- GMO heirloom (criollo) varieties. The restaurant is dedicated to making everything by hand, including masa, cheeses, chorizo, and moles. All the meat and produce is organic and sourced locally when possible.
Every Wednesday throughout the winter, Claro will be making both meat & vegetarian tlayudas, a beloved Oaxacan street food often referred to as "mexican pizza" available for pick up.
Description of Claro's Tlayudas:
Large tortillas are fresh pressed from house made masa, made with non-gmo criollo corn imported directly from Mexico - nixtamalized and ground at the restaurant.
Each thin tortilla is grilled on the outdoor comal and topped with a black bean paste made from Oaxacan criollo beans, fresh herbs, vegetables and house made quesillo.
Additional meat and vegetable toppings are sourced locally and will change weekly.
Pick Up Instructions:
1) Select the type and number of tlayudas you would like to purchase for pick up and click the "Purchase" button.
2) At Checkout, please note the following: (All Orders are for Pick Up Only and must be placed 24 hours in advance)
- Date & Time of Pick Up (Pick Ups are available WEDNESDAYS ONLY 5:00pm-9:00pm)
- Choice of Meat or Vegetarian Tlayuda
- Once your order has been confirmed, please contact the restaurant at 347-721-3126 to arrange your pick-up time (at least 30min prior to pick-up).
Pick Up at Claro:
*284 3rd Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215